Saturday, August 20, 2011

About associate degree in pre-med on active duty

Associate Degree in Pre-med on Active Duty?
Right now I'm just in the DEP program for the marines. I ship out the basic in february. I know that once I'm on active duty, I wont have enough to get a bachelors degree but was wondering if anyone knows any accredited online schools for associates degree in pre-medicine that would help me become a doctor when i am done with my 4 year service commitment. Are there any associate degree programs online that will help me prepare and also look good on transcript for when i apply for med school. Fyi i've put a lot of thought into this so yes I know what I'm getting into. I am planning on going to school to get a bachelors before I apply to med school also. Could anyone recommend anything? I prefer if it was an associate of science not an associate of the arts because I hear that associates of art aren't as good for med school. Would an associate degree help quicken the time of my bachelors degree? Sorry for the grammar in a rush and at the library.
Military - 3 Answers
People's Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
If you eventually want to go to medical school, your major doesn't matter. But there are some required courses that all med schools require, and these classes include: General Biology plus lab General Chemistry plus lab General Organic Chemistry plus lab & General Physics plus lab Make sure when you sign up for these, that they are in fact the pre-med version (as I know several community colleges offer versions like "applied physics" and such that don't meet the requirements). It has to be general physics 101 with it's lab. I was thinking about going to medical school and was a bachelor of arts and needed to get all these classes. That's how I knew this. But I decided it would take too much time so I went to law school instead as they don't have any particular course prerequisites.
Answer 2 :
>"I wont have enough to get a bachelors degree but was wondering if anyone knows any accredited online schools for associates degree in pre-medicine that would help me become a doctor when i am done with my 4 year service commitment." Who has been advising you on a path for Medical School? Pre-med associates degree?? As a matter of fact there is no such thing as a formal "Pre-Med" Degree! See the link below for medical school entrance requirements. I never heard of an AA/S pre-med degree. There are all kinds of degree finishing programs. If this is your direction why in the world would you enlist in the Marines? The medics are Navy Corpsman! You told the Marine Recruiter your plans? I would have loved to hear the story the Marine Recruiter told you. If medical school is truly your goal, you may want to rethink the Marines (it's a fine branch of the Military). If anything, you should consider the Navy or even the Army. Just so you know, you can cancel your contract with the Marines anytime before you take your final oath and ship off to boot camp! This is generally true for any branch of the Military! You need to check out the Army's or Navy's PA (Physician's Assistant) Programs!